AskMuallim

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

AskMuallim
AskMuallim
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books for the 4th year

2 posters

Go down

Books for the 4th year Empty Books for the 4th year

Post  usmanqamar1 Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:18 pm

What books would be advisable to study in the 4th year as a means of support for the following books:

Riyad As-Salihin
Khulaasat Al-Bayaan
Al-Mukhtaaraat
Al-hidaya 1&2
Noor Al-Anwar
Quran Tarjuma Juz 15-30 (Mufti Faruq tafseer)
Al-Maqaamaat Al-Hariria

...basically all the Arabi Chaharum books

Advice would be greatly appreciated. All suggestions are welcome.

usmanqamar1

Back to top Go down

Books for the 4th year Empty Re: Books for the 4th year

Post  IbnMuhammad Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:03 am

To begin with, I would advise you - and anyone else for that matter - to keep the following with you, especially during class; I will refer to these as aid books:

• A book on Sarf & Nahw which you are comfortable with. This could be Ilmun Nahw, Hidayatun Nahw, Durusul Arabiyyah or any other book you are familiar with.

• A book on Fiqh, again something you're comfortable with. Imam Quduri's Mukhtasar or Sharhul Wiqayah perhaps?

• A copy of your most recently studied Usoolul Fiqh book. I assume that this would be Shashi's Usool.

• A dictionary which – again - you are comfortable with. Maybe you could - if you haven't already begun doing so- start using an Arabic to Arabic dictionary.

The idea with these books is that when a grammatical or jurisprudical issue arises, you try and solve it from memory and then refer back to the appropriate place in the book. This will have two benefits; firstly that it will consolidate the content you studied in the previous years and secondly, it will give you an authorative command over the selected aid book as you will soon be able to locate any issue within the chosen books.

Moving on to the texts that you will be studying, I'll start off with Murgheenani's Al-Hidayah.

Al-Hidayah

In the initial stages of your studying of Al-Hidayah, you'll have to focus your energy on understanding the methodology and terminology employed by Murghenaani. Your respected Ustaadh(s) should deal with this aspect of your understanding.

Moving on to the commentaries. There are numerous commentaries you can utilise but just a word of advice; try your utmost to understand the Masalah from the text alone and then for additional information, refer to the footnotes and commentaries. Students who become habituated to relying on commentaries to understand the text maybe handicapped in their understanding of books further in their studies which may not necessarily have a commentary. Another word on commentaries, each commentary has its own bias but nevertheless are all beneficial. A word of warning from competent Ulama is to steer clear of Urdu commentaries - except for Ainul Al-Hidayah; I was told by a teacher that if someone was to read the additional issues (Juziee Masaail) at the end of each chapter in Aainul Al-Hidayah it would make him a mufti.

The main purpose of studying Al-Al-Hidayah is that you can extrapolate from the details and maxims contained in Al-Hidayah to other scenarios. You may have heard the story of the two scholars who began debating about an issue and it so turned out that one of them had learnt Al-Hidayah from cover-to-cover. Conversely, his companion had studied the text thoroughly and engaged himself with its meaning. The latter claimed that the issue was X and he quoted Al-Al-Hidayah. His companion denied this and stated - perhaps rather pompously- that this statement wasn't to be found anywhere in Al-Hidayah. The book was called for and the scholar who had understood Al-Hidayah pointed to a maxim which revealed that the issue was in accordance with what he was saying. On hearing this, the Hafizul Al-Hidayah regretted memorizing the Al-Hidayah without understanding it and engaging with its meaning. Having said this, I would recommend that once you've clearly understand Al-Hidayah, you memorise it. I can recall a conversation I had with Hazrat (Shaykh Abdul Haqq) in which he mentioned that to gain a strong base in all disciplines, they would memorise a book from each discipline.

One of my teachers in Darul Uloom Leicester once mentioned that he along with two students from South Africa were seated in the presence of Shaykh Saeed Palanpuri discussing random topics. On concluding the gathering, Shaykh Saeed told my teacher that the secret behind the two students’ apparent diligence in their debating was their strong command over Margheenani’s Al-Hidayah.

I think many students underestimate the indispensable nature of Al-Hidayah and how it ultimately is one of the cornerstones in defining what we refer to as a competent scholar. And believe you and me – if someone coasts through Al-Hidayah they will be handicapped through the latter years

Quran Translation - I think it's of paramount importance that you understand that the priority in this case is the translation. More times than not, students are spellbound by their sudden ability to read classical Tafaseer, and as a result begin to neglect the translation.

On the topic of the translation, ideally you want to master Urdu & English translation. For English, I will opt for the The Qur'an (M. A. S. Abdel Haleem) as attested by Sidi Khalil Laher. Another translation which I have found particularly helpful is Quran Made Easy ( Mufti Afzal Hoosen Elias). I think Mufti Farooq Sahib should deal with the Urdu aspect of the translation. The idea is that you should be able to translate any of the verses with ease. Especially from Surah Hujrat onwards when the translation is not one which you can 'blag' as such.

Moving on still, once you feel your grasp of the translation is firm enough you may want to move on to the Tafaseer. Sidi Khalil has outlined the categories of Tafaasir which you can refer back to. A few Tafaseer I will recommend personally:

• Safwah Tafaseer: A simple, straight to the point tafseer which sets out to elucidate the actual meaning of the verse- because in all honesty, it’s no use knowing all the balagha and Ahadith relating to an ayah if you are not comfortable with the meaning.

• Tafseer Qurtubi: One thing I really like about Qurtubi is its readability. It contains such a vast amount of information yet presented in such an enticing manner........it’s a classic.

• Jassaaas’ Ahkaamul Quran: This tafseer, if studied properly will connect your tafseer with your Hidayah studies; just ensure you’re wary of his rationalist orientation as indicated by Sidi Khalil. There is also the more recent Ahkamul Quran written by Shaykh Zafar Uthmani and Shaykh Shafee Uthmani.

• Lughatul Quran – by Shaykh Abdur Rashid Numani also helps to solidify your grasp of the lexis of the Quran.

I will leave the other texts to other Shuyookh.

Najib Rahmani

IbnMuhammad

Back to top Go down