AskMuallim

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

AskMuallim
AskMuallim
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on teaching children in makaatib

3 posters

Go down

Advice on teaching children in makaatib Empty Advice on teaching children in makaatib

Post  ibn munayyar Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:55 pm

Salaams to all, and EID MUBARAK!

I was hoping to gain a little advice from you brothers on dealing with children at the maktab...

Personally, i'm teaching 6 year-olds, and they can get very rowdy sometimes, and it's fairly difficult to control them, which leads to much time being wasted, much of which is spent in chasing the little blighters around!

There're a few issues which i hope you shuyookh can help me with:

1. (The cliche): HOW DO I GET THEM TO SIT DOWN AND SHUDDUP! Mad

2. I notice that they tend to be quieter when they are occupied with something; so what are the kind of things I can preoccupy them with?

3. How do I deal with them if they misbehave?

There are many other 'classroom conundrums' which I find hard to tackle but I'll leave it till here for now.

If you have any other tips which may be of benefit, then they're most welcome!

Last edited by ibn munayyar on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

ibn munayyar

Back to top Go down

Advice on teaching children in makaatib Empty Re: Advice on teaching children in makaatib

Post  khalillaher Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:21 pm

A common mistake is the usage of the old model of teaching the Arabic letters in terms of 'iraab (vowelisation).

We start with alif zabar aa, ba zabar baa, taa zabar taa, and so on.

This is completely wrong. And unscientific. Causes confusion in tot's mind. Especially when he comes to do tarkeeb (composing voweled words). By the time he has stated every letter with the word zabar, when he comes to the first letter to phonetise he forgets its sound. It is true. LOL.

For example the word أمر, sounded as 'amara'. The old method involves teaching alif zabar aa, mim zabar maa, ra zabar ra = a ma ra. The poor lad, when he comes to do himself, he looses the plot and forgets the target which is to ultimately say: amara.

The solution: is to teach from the onset the phonetic results of the of the specific 'iraab (vowel) against the letter. For example, instead of teaching alif zabar aa, ba zabar ba, ta zabar ta, ..., teach aa, ba, ta ... . When the 'iraab (vowel) changes to kasrah (zer), again DO NOT teach: alif zer e, ba zer bi, ta zer ti, ... . BUT DO TEACH: e, bi, ti, ... .

Using this new method, the child will learn 3 times faster, and will master the reading far better.

Try it and see the results.

An aalim who is also a researcher e-mailed this to me when i graduated.

khalillaher

Back to top Go down

Advice on teaching children in makaatib Empty Re: Advice on teaching children in makaatib

Post  IbnMuhammad Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:33 am

When it comes to teaching, I believe there are hardly and 'hard-and-fast' rules that can be invariably applied to every given scenario. Having said that, there are a few mistakes or misconceptions I have picked up on myself. These are lessons I have been taught by my students and may not necessarily be those your students teach you.

1) Consistency - Keep your praises and more importantly your punishments consistent. (This last sentence will appear in the next episode of Panorama) When students realise that the teacher is inconsistent, it gives them a free-roaming license by which they can point to inconsistencies in the teachers's behaviour and thus making an absolute mockery out of the teacher.

2) Think before you speak - Some inexperienced teachers, in the state of fury, will utter things which either are unjustifiable or they are incapable of executing - 'I will have you expelled'. These statements go a long way in embedding the message that the teacher is only 'talk'.

3) You are the TEACHER - Many a newly qualified - or unqualified - teacher thinks it his/her duty to 'engage' with the students, speak to them on 'their level', 'befriend' them and many other politically (in)correct terms which they think are of paramount importance. Its highly likely that the class you have been given is one in which all the students are very well-disciplined and are eager to learn even the most tedious of material. But experience tells us that this isn't always the case. As a teacher you have to ensure that the teaching side is thorough and rigorous. Don't feel that due to your age you can't stamp down your authority on the students or that by being firm with them it will harm their education in any way - just look back at your strictest lecturer and compare what he/she has taught you with what the most lenient lecturer taught you. I think this is one of the major pitfalls for the majority of young teachers - that they consider their age an obstruction in carrying out the 'tough cop' side of being a teacher. But, as with everything, discipline comes with moderation. I can still remember our respected Shaykh, Mufti Inayatullah saying; 'Sakhtee se kaam na lo, mazbuti see kaam lo.'

Ibn Muhammad

IbnMuhammad

Back to top Go down

Post  ibn munayyar Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Jazakumullahu khairan for the replies shuyookh, i'm afraid it's a bit too late for me to implement your advices as I have left teaching to concentrate more on studies, but inshaAllah they will be of benefit in the future!

ibn munayyar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down